Continental Motorcycle Safety Technologies
Continental is a broad company with many divisions. The Two Wheel department has sub departments that work on multiple motorcycle technologies: safe, intelligent and efficient mobility.
Some of these mobility technologies include:
- Intelligent Anti-Lock brake system.
- Blind Spot Detection.
- Traffic Sign Assist.
- Intelligent Headlight Assist.
- Forward Collision Warning.
- Emergency Brake Assist.
- Adaptive Cruise Control.
These technologies have been developed to support Continental’s worldwide safety campaign, Vision Zero. Vision Zero is Continental’s commitment to safety in both automobiles and motorcycles. Zero fatalities, zero injuries, zero accidents. It’s only the combination of advanced rider assistance systems and premium tires that puts riders in a position to actually benefit from top level safety out on the roads. Continental is the only company that can offer high-tech solutions in both product areas from a single source.
This post will be the first of a series of posts about Continental Motorcycle Safety Technologies and we’ll be starting with an essential system that helps the rider brake sooner and safer; Continental’s intelligent anti-lock braking System (ABS).
Around one in six fatalities that occur on the road in Brazil and in the European Union involves a motorcyclist – in India and China the proportion is even higher. ABS for motorcycles can offer greater safety for motorcycle riders. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in the United States, the rate of fatal crashes is 31 percent lower for motorcycles equipped with optional ABS than for those same models without ABS. Today, ABS is available for all types of motorcycles – from scooters and mopeds to big V-twin cruisers and powerful motorcycles in all markets. With such safety potential, Continental is adamant to capitalize on the Vision Zero campaign by implementing ABS systems to its R&D.
Intelligent Anti-Lock Brake System
Continental’s Motorcycle Integral Brake system represents the ultimate ABS motorcycle technology. It reacts in 3 steps:
- The brake is applied to both wheels while only the front wheel brake lever is pressed.
- It recognizes the driver’s desire to brake and builds up active pressure at the rear wheel.
- It determines the braking pressures at the main cylinders and on the wheels, allowing dynamic driving predictions for a safe and short stop.
Continental’s integral brake system creates a new function called optimized curved braking. Thanks to numerous sensors, the ABS adapts depending how much and how fast a rider leans into a curve.
• The integral brake system sensors provide signals on roll and pitch rates plus lateral acceleration to help determine the angle at which a rider is leaning.
• Maximum force is deployed both at the front and rear wheel by checking data at around 100 times per second in the shortest and safest distance.
Features & Benefits
- Anti-lock function combined with controlled brake force distribution to both wheels for optimum deceleration.
- Enhanced lift-off detection for the rear wheel.
- Active pressure build enables Hill Holding function.